The NZOSS makes a number of online services available for our members - and the broader NZ community - to use. They provide a showcase of free and open source (FOSS) software tools. The current offerings include:
- https://nzoss.org.nz - this website, which is also currently our membership management system. It is built on the Drupal web application/CMS framework.
- https://members.nzoss.nz - our new (as of January 2018) membership site - it's built on the Odoo ERP system and allows secure online credit card payment and payment by bank transfer... We aim to provide a how-to for other organisations in NZ to benefit from using this impressive, vastly flexible system.
- http://groups.nzoss.org.nz - our email lists, generously sponsored by OnlineGroups.Net - alongside our main OpenChat list, there're a bunch of special topic groups. Anyone can join!
- https://chat.nzoss.nz - our Rocket.Chat-based messaging platform (which is functionally similar to other rich messaging tools like Slack, Yammer, Mattermost, Riot, and others). We have channels for lots of different tech-specific interest groups - if there's one you'd like to see that's missing, we'll create it! We work with communities of interest - that's FOSS all over. Just sign up to take part!
- https://git.nzoss.org.nz - our GitLab instance, making it easier for FOSS developers here in New Zealand to collaborate. GitLab is similar in many ways to other Git-based forges, like Github.com and Bitbucket.org, although unlike those, it is FOSS.
- https://mastodon.nzoss.nz - our Mastodon instance, join us and become part of the Fediverse. Mastodon is a free, non-corporate, distributed social network with some superficial similarities to Twitter.
- https://cloud.nzoss.nz - our NextCloud and Collabora (online, collaborative LibreOffice) and (in 2019) Only Office instances. This combination - functionally similar to Google Docs - which has succeeded https://etherpad.nzoss.org.nz, our concurrent collaborative editing solution, an Etherpad-Lite instance. You'll need to request an account on this one at this time.
- https://openstandards.nz - our case (and online petition) to convince the NZ government that open standards for software procurement should be mandated across all government agencies. (also a Drupal site)
- https://softwarepatents.org.nz - our previous online petition calling on the NZ government to block the patenting of computer software in this jurisdiction. This successful effort is online for historical purposes, and to assist other countries who are mounting similar domestic efforts to block software from patentability. (yet another Drupal site)
- https://mautic.nzoss.nz - our instance of the Mautic marketing automation system. You can get an overview and how-to for setting it up. This is a good replacement for proprietary cloud services like MailChimp, Constant Contact, and Campaign Manager. If you'd like a look, let us know!
- Added Dec 2019: https://safe.nzoss.nz is a BitWarden instance, providing a cross-device synchronised password management system. At present, it is invite-only and will likely be a NZOSS-member-only service. Our instance does not use BitWarden's server code, as it depends on proprietary Microsoft technologies which would pollute our systems. Instead, we use a fully Free and Open Source reimplementation. See this howto for more information on Bitwarden and our implementation of it - you can also use this approach to easily create you own (we recommend it!).
- Added Jan 2020: https://bbb.nzoss.nz is a BigBlueButton instance. It is a large-scale video conferencing and presentation platform, supporting many participants and other useful capabilities like participant chat, sharing desktops, presentations, an interactive virtual "whiteboard", recording meetings, and more.
We have other tools waiting in the wings, and will add them to the list when they're up and running.